Saturday, March 22, 2008

Rachel Corrie

I don't know why it took me so long to write about her but I now am. The world should know her.

This is the speech she gave when she was in 5th grade:
I’m here for other children.
I’m here because I care.
I’m here because children everywhere are suffering and because forty thousand people die each day from hunger.
I’m here because those people are mostly children.
We have got to understand that the poor are all around us and we are ignoring them.
We have got to understand that these deaths are preventable.
We have got to understand that people in third world countries think and care and smile and cry just like us.
We have got to understand that they dream our dreams and we dream theirs.
We have got to understand that they are us. We are them.
My dream is to stop hunger by the year 2000.
My dream is to give the poor a chance.
My dream is to save the 40,000 people who die each day.
My dream can and will come true if we all look into the future and see the light that shines there.
If we ignore hunger, that light will go out.
If we all help and work together, it will grow and burn free with the potential of tomorrow.

– Rachel Corrie, aged ten, recorded at her school’s Fifth Grade Press Conference on World Hunger

She was an American who left to Palestine to lend her support for the people out there. Her protest was non-violent and like all the other people who wanted to do good for the humanity, she was killed by the Israelis. Crushed by the merciless blades of a bulldozer. She stood up and looked straight at the operator. He carried on and ran over her. Then he moved back and buried her deeper into the sand. She was only able to say : "My back is broken". She was taken to a hospital and later, she died. The American government funds the Israelis and they are yet to say anything about this issue.

These are two interesting links and if you're reading this blog, I request you to please take a look at them.
http://www.ifamericansknew.org/cur_sit/corrie.html

http://www.ifamericansknew.org/cur_sit/rc-myth&fact.html




Palestine will miss you Rachel Corrie. So will the rest of the world. We hope that the Gaza strip will not be taken over by wrongful hands. Rest in peace. You are and will always remain to be mine and many other people's hero. Thank you.

9 comments:

Elithraniel Arawion said...

hey.... thts really nice.... yes ppl shud know abt rachel corrie!!!!

BloggerMouth said...

Thanks for the comment Elithraniel.

ThinkAloud. said...

There are so mnay such instances that remain under the wraps! I really think we should all make an effort n bring to light every such instance we come across through every way possible!really good effort!

BloggerMouth said...

Thanks, Thinkaloud.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
BloggerMouth said...

Very thoughtful of you, Maanav. Thanks :)

Unknown said...

Its a pity that such such things happen.What's even more unfortunate is tat such events often go unnoticed . . .Its high time the international community got together to prevent such things from ever happening. . .

aks said...

really a very sad incident.. the worst thing is that her barbarous death is accounted as an accident..wonder how many people die like this but don't make to the news as she did...

Something said...

I wish current 5th Graders were this smart. All i got to deal with was "Sir my Daddy na, she bring me toy car" type sentences.

May Rachel Corrie rest in peace.

*iscou*